odi et amo
Links
Really Old Stuff
Yesterday's News
My Daily Reads

Check 'em Out!
< ? Blogs By Black Women # >
Checking In / Checking Out
Monday, August 22, 2005
I did not have a very restful sleep last night. My eyes opened before 4:00 a.m. and I couldn't get them to close again. I'm excited about starting a new job next week and I guess that is what is keeping me awake. I visited my new office yesterday. The company moved into a newer facility over the weekend and I was invited to check out the space and meet some people. The building is beautiful -- very corporate. Entry into the lobby is via revolving door and there are fountains on either side of the stairs that lead to the elevators. We occupy the third floor and I cannot wait to move in. It's always fun to decorate a new office space - i.e. cubicle. That's funny. In my last job I had a private office, in my current job I share an office and in my new job I'm in an open cubicle -- the funny thing is my salary has increased more than 17% in the last 17 months. Guess, it doesn't matter where you sit as long as your paycheck keeps going up.

This week is going to be sheer torture. I have already mentally checked out of my current position. If my office mate wasn't spending the week in Disney World I wouldn't even go in. But that's me -- dedicated till the end. Besides, I promised I'd help train this temp that we have in to help out until they hire somebody to replace me. Just five more days ...

The culture of this company is very relaxed. Very young. I may be one of the oldest employees they have. I met the CEO yesterday and he must be in his thirties. It's a little intimidating. I know I'm not ancient but I'm no teeny bopper either. My beloved is afraid that I'm going to start hanging out with these young girls for drinks after work. He has nothing to worry about. First of all, I almost never socialize with co-workers. Secondly, what would I have to talk about with these kids?

I'm looking forward to arranging the photographs of my kids, plugging in my CD player and learning my job. I'm in a row of six cubicles and only one other is occupied. The other occupant is a guy named Rob. He was walking around the office yesterday with a beer in his hand and a wad of tobacco in his mouth that could choke a cow. There's a small basketball hoop set up outside his cube. I'm really looking forward to this.

Until then, I will go into my current office and find a way to make it through the day.
Blessed by chele at 6:44 AM | Permalink |
Who links to me?