odi et amo
Links
Really Old Stuff
Yesterday's News
My Daily Reads

Check 'em Out!
< ? Blogs By Black Women # >
Who Are You?
Saturday, August 06, 2005
I feel the interview went very well. The interviewer was from Southern California and he was very laid back and friendly and he made me feel very comfortable right away. The building that housed the company was in a shambles. I was assured that because of so much recent company growth that they actually would be moving to a newer place within two weeks time. As I left the interview Marc (interviewer) shook my hand and said that he had some things to verify but he was sure that we would be in touch.

Salary was not discussed. This concerns me because I had an opportunity to speak with the woman who is currently in the position that I am applying for and the details of her job do not sound very challenging -- once you learn it. In other words, if I was making the hiring decision, I would not pay her what I currently make for what she does. So, while I know that I can do that job and it's probably a great place to work I don't think they would be willing to pay me what I require.

Of course all this is just speculation.

I had a gig last night. Sometimes it's funny playing in these places. We were in a sports bar that had no less than 20 flat screen televisions in it. Patrons come in, they order greasy food and assorted adult beverages and they watch television. Personally, I don't know why they don't just do that at home. I never understood the concept of the sports bar. Anyway, the musical entertainment is really just meant for the background. Like the radio that plays through the house system. No one is really listening unless you play something that is familiar to them. Their ears will perk up and they may listen for a few seconds but eventually they go back to watching the game, or playing pool or whatever it was they were doing. I understand this but my beloved takes it personally if people don't applaud him after every song. If he doesn't get the appropriate response from the patrons he thinks he's 'dying up there'. Which he's not. He's a very talented musician but these people at the sports bar didn't come out to hear music they came out to get drunk and watch sports.

Why is it so important that we be validated by others? As if someone else's acknowledgement makes our existence real.

Today's Affirmation
I know who I am
Blessed by chele at 7:52 AM | Permalink |
Who links to me?