I survived the flap procedure. The inside of my mouth is a little tender but for the most part I'm fine. I really hyped this thing up to be worse than it was. I cried in the dentist's chair even before he started. I feel silly now but I can't help it -- I don't like when a guy is digging around in my mouth (insert dirty joke here). At the conclusion of the procedure the doctor began to give me my post-operative instructions. Try to eat only soft, cool foods. Stay away from hot, hard or spicy (insert dirtier joke here). And be sure to take my medication for the pain. He told me that the prescription bottle indicates taking it every four to six hours but he recommended taking it every to two to three hours in order to stay ahead of the pain.
Staying ahead of the pain. Brilliant. Since I know the pain the coming take the proper steps to alleviate it before it hits me. I wondered briefly if it would be possible to stay ahead of the pain that we experience in our everyday lives. Maybe not eliminate it, because we all have pain to deal with but to prepare ourselves for it so it doesn't hurt so much. I'll have to think about that but I just love the concept of the staying ahead of the pain.