I began this post yesterday planning to share my deep insight on how people are constantly performing and we don't really know who we are ... I've changed my mind.
Last night I had the privilege of performing on the 17th Street stage with my beloved's band. It was, to date, the largest crowd that I had ever performed for. It was the coolest thing I have ever done. Not bad for 40! It was hot and humid and I had a little stage fright at first but I was so glad that I did it and got through it. The performance was only an hour long and I only sang three songs but the feeling was indescribable. I got to shake my hips and swing my pontytail and scream into a microphone. I remember singing into a spoon when I was a child pretending that the towel on my head was long flowing hair. Oh, how times have changed.
Terry McMillan was on Tavis' show last night. Besides all the drama concerning her marriage she said something that I thought was very profound. Many women believe once their nest is empty that their life is over. The last third of a woman's life can be the most exciting if she wants it to be. There are so many opportunities and so many adventures waiting for us. Now is the best time for me, I believe, because I'm smarter and I have more money than I did when I was in my twenties.
Last night was like a shot in the arm. No more sadness because my kids are leaving -- one day. I should feel pride and joy that I'm raising them to be able to take care of themselves. The sky is the limit.
But for right now, I'm going to enjoy the time I have with them. Like right now I have to go so I can take my little girl to the dentist.
Enjoy the day! Enjoy LIFE.