odi et amo
Links
Really Old Stuff
Yesterday's News
My Daily Reads

Check 'em Out!
< ? Blogs By Black Women # >
Fathers
Tuesday, July 19, 2005
The picture that I have posted on my blog is the cover art for my novel, Raymond's Daughters. It's my favorite book. It's a book about forgiving the sins of our fathers. It was inspired by a true story -- mine.

My father was a cad. A bounder even. He was married with four children when he met and began an affair with my mother. I know my mother was no saint and she probably made all kinds of excuses as to why it was okay to get involved with a married man. All that happened more than forty years ago but it still bugs the hell out of me. I mean, I don't dwell on the fact that I don't even know this man that was (he's dead) my father. I was raised by a good man who I know would give his life for me and my siblings. But when I try to figure out why I am the way I am I usually attribute certain behaviors to my mother, however, I am finding out that I am more like my father than I had realized.

There's a line in a song that says, Fathers be good to your daughters/daughters will love like you do. I had a chance to meet some of my father's family and it turns out that we are very much alike. He was very secretive and opinionated. He died of cancer and tried to keep his illness from his brothers. In fact, he became angry with his wife when she told them. He didn't want anyone feeling sorry for him. I'm just like that. My mother says I inherited his walk -- sort of a swagger that displays strength and confidence.

I really wish I had known him for myself.

Anyway, Raymond's Daughters chronicles the life of Raymond Johnson. It shows his transformation from a scheming, lying dog to a gentle, loving man. The story also depicts how his family, especially his three daughters, deal with his transformation. Each daughter represents a certain time period in his life and the story climaxes when all three girls meet for the first time at Raymond's funeral. It's a great story.
Blessed by chele at 6:49 AM | Permalink |
Who links to me?