odi et amo
Links
Really Old Stuff
Yesterday's News
My Daily Reads

Check 'em Out!
< ? Blogs By Black Women # >
A Man Should Know How His Woman Takes Her Coffee
Wednesday, July 20, 2005
That's how it started. That's what I get for being so damned sassy.

Those were the words that I uttered to my beloved on a Thursday afternoon long before we became involved. We were working together and he was flirting with me on a regular basis. I was receptive to his advances but not in an obvious way. I don't recall how the conversation started -- I think he was inviting me to brunch or something like that. Anyway, I made it a point to tell him how I take my coffee, because after all, a man should know how a woman takes her coffee. I like my coffee very strong with one sugar and a splash of half 'n half. Not milk -- half 'n half.

On the following Monday morning I went to work as I normally do. I entered the building and said good morning to the receptionist. I walked up to the second floor to get to my office and the smell of chocolate almost knocked me off my feet. I am a chocoholic so the aroma made for a good way to start the day. As I got closer to my office the smell got stronger. I reached the doorway to my office and I realized that the chocolate smell was coming from inside. I looked to the left and saw a coffee pot that wasn't there the day before. The pot was brewing a blend of some kind of chocolate flavored gourmet coffee. What the hell? Next to the pot was my coffee mug, a spoon, one sugar packet and a carton of half 'n half.

I plopped down in my seat and was speechless. That was when I fell in love with my beloved. Not because he brought me coffee but because he listened to me. He listened, retained the information and acted on it. Quite a feat for a member of a species that is not known for thinking with the head that sits on top of their shoulders. I knew at that moment that I was going to give him some. I'm not so naive that I don't realize that was his motive but I have to give the guy credit. It worked.

Is it silly to reminisce on things like that? I don't think so. Sometimes I have to force myself to remember why I fell in love with him because it helps me to stay in love with him. Especially when he's not so lovable. I'll bet he does the same thing with me. I'll bet he doesn't reminisce about coffee or special dinners that I've prepared. No, he probably remembers a pink thong. Hey -- whatever gets you through.
Blessed by chele at 7:01 AM | Permalink |
Who links to me?