Not on earth but on this site.
I guess we all have our reasons and when I began blogging it was just in an attempt to get back in the habit of writing everyday. I did not want to be critiqued or even noticed. I enjoy the solitude of this place. If someone stumbles across Forty Something and stays for a while they are welcome. I also welcome comments. But I don't write for an audience.
I love this. I sit at my desk at 6:00 a.m. drinking my coffee and just write. It's peaceful for me and it enables me to push forward with the rest of my day. It's a good outlet for now. Every once in a while I'll browse and search for other interesting bloggers -- I haven't found too many. Maybe I'll leave a comment, maybe I won't. Truthfully, I don't believe anyone is as interested in my opinions as I am. See, I'm very self-absorbed. Which is why I can come here everyday with ease and just rattle on about turning 40, raising my kids, my horrible marriages, my writing and singing careers ...
And not care if anyone else is reading these words. Someone once asked me what is the point in writing if no one will read your words? My answer is this: Writing is a form of expression. Sometimes we just need to express a thought -- that's why I write. In writing Raymond's Daughters I had one goal and that was to publish a book. Once it was published I set another goal and that was to have one person that I didn't know read it and tell me that they enjoyed it. Just one person. I reached that goal over and over again. I'm happy and I don't ever have to publish another book again.
If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it does it make a sound? Hell yes! And if I'm the only one to hear the sounds I make than that is good enough for me.