I thought that it would be intimidating to be surrounded by so many young people but it's not. It's refreshing. They like what they do and they seem to love coming to work. They haven't been working long enough to have negative views toward Corporate America. I found out this week that I'm also older than my boss -- by one year.
God never ceases to amaze me. He always works things out for my good. The amazing thing is that I don't even know it's happening. I think about all the events that took place before I accepted this position and it's scary because it almost didn't happen.
1. I received an e-mail from a former co-worker that there were three open positions at my old place of employment (Company A).
2. I decided that I hated my present job (Company T) just enough to go back to Company A -- temporarily forgetting why I left in the first place. I submit my resume.
3. After more than a week of total frustration from not hearing anything from Company A, I scour the classifieds and see the advertisement that my current job (Company C) has posted. It sounds like a job that I could do and at this point I really just want to leave Company T. I submit my resume on Thursday.
4. On Friday, I get a call from Company A and they want to set up an interview -- finally! I'm just arrogant enough to think that all it will entail is a salary negotiation. How could they not want me back? The "interview" is set for Monday.
5. Monday morning comes and I have my interview and it is really an interview. I'm sitting at a table with three former co-workers and they are really interviewing me! At the end of the interview they give me the "we'll be in touch" speech. I'm convinced that I'm in there like swimwear!
6. Monday afternoon I get a call from Company C to set up an interview. It was right on the tip of my tongue to turn them down -- after all I was on my way back to Company A. But something said to me, "go on the interview -- nothing is guaranteed." I made the appointment for the end of the week. That way, when Company A called with the offer I would have time to cancel the interview with Company C.
7. Friday comes and I've heard nothing from Company A and I'm beginning to worry. I go on the interview with Company C and the interviewer was doing a better job of selling me than I was doing of selling me. In other words, he was convincing me of why I would be perfect for the job. The best time to look for a job is when you really don't need one. The less desperate you seem the more impressive you are.
8. On Monday I e-mailed my professional references to Company C.
9. On Wednesday a phone call comes from Company C and they want to make an appointment for me to come in and meet the CEO. They also want to know why I'm leaving Company T and what are my salary requirements. I'm pretty sure that this is the thing that will knock me out of the running. After all, I don't come cheap.
10. On Thursday I receive a written job offer from Company C. The offer is for more than what I asked for. I'm conflicted only because I still haven't heard from Company A. But there I was with an offer on the table. I give Company A one last shot to respond -- they don't.
11. On Friday morning I accepted the offer from Company C and on Friday afternoon I turned in my resignation to Company T.
One footnote to the this scenario: I listed a friend of mine who works at Company A as one of my references. Company C said I came very highly recommended from Company A. When I spoke to my friend she said no one ever called her. As it turns out, one of the VPs at Company A is the step-father to the CEO of Company C. The VP gave me very high marks. Small world.
I thought I knew what I wanted. Clearly, God had something better in mind.
Thought for the day
God knows best