Okay, I don’t claim to know every daggone thing and I have even admitted to suspecting folks of having ulterior motives BUT I have not been walking this earth for almost 42 years without learning a thing or two about male-female interaction.
That being said …
There’s this married guy at my job who thinks I’m an idiot. He and I are the only Africans that work for this company and I don’t know if he thinks that makes us allies or what. My rule at work is (and has always been): I don’t get too close. I’ll speak to you and carry on conversations regarding our workload or I may say, “How was your weekend” but I don’t really give a damn. Not really. I will not ask you about your personal life and I won’t tell you a daggone thing about mine. All you need to know about me you can find out by visiting my cube. You can see pics of my babies, postcards which advertise my books and various cities that I’ve visited. Other than that, I ain’t telling you nathan. I prefer to keep my personal life very separate from my work life.
Anyhoo … whenever this dude gets a chance he pops over to my area and asks me dumb questions. And then he lingers.
“I like that music you’re listening to.”
“Can I take a piece of candy?”
“Where do you work out?”
When he asked that last question I looked at him like he was a martian and told him that I didn’t work out. He got this look on his face that said, “Damn!” he grinned, shook his head and walked away. I guess that was supposed to be a compliment ... but not in the workplace.
He’s also the touchy-feely type. He’s put his hand on my shoulder, slid his index finger up my arm … WTF? I swear to you, I am about to bust him right in his head.
I told ya’ll a few weeks ago that I went to San Antonio for a conference. Well, coincidentally he was traveling there too – for another business matter. When he found out I was going he suggested that we get together and maybe have dinner together while we’re there. He also suggested that I extend my stay an extra night … I don’t do a whole lot of business travel but is that what ya’ll do? Hook up for some extra curricular? I don’t know what he heard but I ain’t the one. He called me while I was in San Antonio but I ignored the call.
So yesterday he sends me this e-mail:
How is your day going ?
I responded with this:
Busy as usual. You?
He responded with this:
I said that because you and I have never sit down and talked I some time try to read you, you look frustrated, let me know if we can chat sometime.
GTFOHWTBS!!!
We don’t have anything to chat about Negro. Here’s how I translated his e-mail:
I was just asking because I can’t figure you out. I’m trying to find a way into them drawers, girl. You look like you need a little. Let me know if we can f*ck sometime.
I didn’t respond to his e-mail.
This brotha actually thinks that I’m not aware that he’s trying to get some. I don’t want to be rude to him … honestly I don’t. But if he doesn’t back up offa me I just might snap.