odi et amo
Links
Really Old Stuff
Yesterday's News
My Daily Reads

Check 'em Out!
< ? Blogs By Black Women # >
Strikin’ Out On His Own
Sunday, April 16, 2006
I think I’ve expressed to you how much I enjoy my job. If I haven’t, just let me say I absolutely love my job. It’s not perfect everyday but for the most part it is a very pleasant place to work. Mostly, because of my boss. He’s a southern California surfer dude – completely laid back and just cool. He doesn’t micromanage and I feel as though he respects me and appreciates the job I do. I am completely autonomous and the only thing I really need him for is to sign my vacation requests. It’s great.

Well, on Friday my boss announces that he is leaving the company in order to start his own business. Apparently, he’s been running his own business for a while but the demands of it are too great now and he just can’t do both – so he’s striking out on his own.

I’m happy for him but because of who I am I have to ask the question … how is this gonna affect ME? It’s weird. He interviewed me and hired me and always goes to bat for me to upper management. He’s the boss that never lets an opportunity to give an ‘atta girl’ go by … I kind of feel like I’m being abandoned … I know how unrealistic and selfish that sounds.

I’ve spoken to my boss’s boss – the owner of the company -- and he has assured me that nothing will change regarding my position. He’ll let me know who I will be reporting to sometime next week. I’m not thrilled. Is it possible that my boss will be replaced with someone just as cool as he is? Or will I get stuck with the boss from hell? You know the one … he wants to know why I’m ten minutes late coming back from lunch; or he will wonder why I don’t take my daughter to her dentist’s appointment during my lunch break; or expect me to stay later than 5:00 p.m. I can tell you right now, that is not gonna happen. I give 40 – you pay me for 40 and everyone is happy. At least I am.

Anyway …

I wish I had the self discipline to get my second novel written. It kills me because I have this great story in my head, I’ve written the outline and I have the main characters having conversations (in my head) but I can’t sit my butt down long enough to write it. I thought that since I had the discipline to blog as often as I do that I could use that same energy to get this novel written. Wrong! I can blog anywhere and under any circumstances … right now the washing machine is going and I’m cooking breakfast, and the neighbor’s car alarm just went off. When I write I need absolute silence and no distractions whatsoever. I’m such a flake …

Last night my son went to the movies with a friend. I picked them up and I tried to engage them in conversation about the movie, if they had good time, was it crowded, blah, blah, blah. My attempts were met with one-word responses. I hate that. It made me wonder if they even went to the movies. Or maybe he was just being moody. I don’t know but it’s stupid stuff like that that reminds me (once again) how soon it is before he graduates and leaves. I know he’s leaving but every time I think about it for too long I get all weepy. I’m watching Doctor 90210 last night and bawling uncontrollably because my son is leaving! Why did that show make me cry? Because one of the surgeons had a baby and she and her husband decided to have the child circumcised at home … it was a nice ceremony, the rabbi did his thing with one quick slice, the baby cried for a minute and then it was over. Of course, this made me think of my baby … being a mother can be a real bitch sometimes. You know what I find interesting? My own mother has expressed that she doesn’t understand “these women” who go through the empty nest syndrome … getting all weepy and what-not when their kids leave home. She couldn’t wait for us to leave! Didn’t shed a tear. I love my mother but sometimes I think she’s a friggin’ robot.

It’s a gorgeous day today. A beautiful Resurrection Sunday. I stopped calling it Easter a long time ago. I did not go to church. I leave that to the folks who never go all year and decide to make an appearance so they can show off their new gear. That is not a ritual that I care to be a part of. I recognize the importance of this day but I don’t feel like I have to prove it by being in a fashion show. That’s just me.

Blessed by chele at 9:41 AM | Permalink |
Who links to me?