odi et amo
Links
Really Old Stuff
Yesterday's News
My Daily Reads

Check 'em Out!
< ? Blogs By Black Women # >
It Really Does Get Better
Thursday, March 30, 2006
For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. (Romans 8:18)

When I was in my thirties I had this verse of scripture taped to my wall next to my computer. I told you about the things that I was experiencing during that time so this particular verse really provided a lot of comfort. It kept me going and allowed me to believe that things wouldn’t always be bad. As a matter of fact, what I was going through couldn’t even be compared to all the great things that I was about to experience.

How true.

I am a Christian. I was raised in the church and come from a long line of ministers. The church has disappointed me plenty in the past but my faith in God has never faltered. I always know that He is with me. My constant guide and protector.

Yesterday I sat down with my boss for my evaluation. I’ve only been in this job for seven months so I wasn’t really expecting an evaluation, not to mention a pay increase. Well, I got both. Not much, but like I said I wasn’t expecting anything. In addition, to the increase my boss explained a new bonus incentive program that the company plans to implement for me. Why? Because I work around a bunch of salespeople who are rewarded by meeting their sales goals with cash, cars and trips and those opportunities are not open to me because I don’t sell.

Anyway, the bonus incentive program allows me to reach certain pre-determined goals and makes me eligible for cash bonuses at the end of each quarter, the yearly club trip and other perks. Not too shabby.

I never even saw this coming. I was perfectly content doing the job that I was being paid to do. I never complained about the fact that I wasn’t afforded the same opportunities as the salespeople. Now I am being afforded those opportunities. Hmmmmm. Maybe it isn’t always the squeaky wheel that gets the grease.

I’m preparing for my weekend getaway. I’m excited to be able to spend time with B like this. Our relationship has sustained some tough times and I was ready to walk out many times … and did. But we’re still here. We’re still standing (ala Antwoine Fisher). It’s a comfortable relationship. We understand each other and we’ve finally learned how to appreciate each other. Translation: He has realized that I’m the best thing that ever happened to his crazy ass and has stopped trippin’!

I got my hair cut off yesterday. All off … think of Halle Berry in Strictly Business (1991). It’s springtime and I was tired of having hair (tracks) on my neck. I look good. Good enough to eat. The people at work almost lost their minds when I walked in: “I can’t believe you cut off all your hair!” Oh please. Ever try to explain the intricacies of Black hair to non-Black people? Comedy.

I have dance class tonight. I told you before that I was feeling sort of intimidated by the younger, more experienced dancers. Well, no more. The class started out with almost thirty people but as we get closer to recital time, the number has dwindled to about half that. I’m still hanging in there and I’m so proud of me. We’re dancing to the Brooke Valentine song Taste of Dis. I never heard of it before but it’s a cute song. Our costumes are pretty cute too. The recital is in June … by then I’ll be able to post actual photographs.

Life is good. I feel good. Everything is falling into place. Ten years ago I never would have believed that this would be my life. I’m not some rich, glamorous diva with a fancy car and a fancy house. I’m not dripping diamonds and I don’t live on caviar and champagne. But … I am happy. I am joyful. My kids are happy and healthy. I have a good job. My car is paid for. Me and the bank own my home. My parents are still living and healthy. Springtime is here. Damn I feel good.
Blessed by chele at 10:49 AM | Permalink |
Who links to me?