I don’t expect a lot of people to agree with my point of view on this but I saw something this weekend that was really disturbing. At least to me.
Saturday night I attended my daughter’s step show/competition. It was held at a recreation center in a neighboring city. I can’t remember the name of the group that hosted the event and as the hosts they were not part of the competition but they did perform. They came out first with a band and dancers and these little “baby cheerleaders” that were probably between the ages of 5 and 8. They all marched out in sync and they were very impressive.
The show finally starts and the first step team comes up and rips it up. They were an incredible group of high schoolers and I am just so overwhelmed when I see young people with so much talent.
Between performances the DJ plays music to keep the audience occupied while we wait. Well, he throws on some thumping hip-hop song and one of the baby cheerleaders (no older than 6 or 7) starts dropping it like it’s HOT. She’s shaking her booty and twirling around in circles and going down on the floor like she’s doing push-ups and hopping back up and shaking her little behind some more.
Her performance wasn’t as disturbing as the response of the crowd. I swear, about 40 or so people rushed this child and gathered around her in a circle and were screaming and cheering and encouraging her to perform what could have been described as a dance that could be seen in any gentleman’s club.
I was horrified.
I’m all for encouraging young people to do their thing. But can we please encourage them to do something more positive than shaking their asses? Can we encourage them to get better grades? Can we encourage them to respect themselves and others? Can we encourage them to be people with good character? Can we encourage them to display the kind of behavior that reflects that good character?
Call me old-fashioned. Call me a prude. Tell me I don’t understand. I don’t give a damn! I do understand that this young girl is receiving the message that as long as she is shaking her ass than people will love and accept her. Is that an over reaction? I don’t care! Sit your ass down! That shit ain’t cute.