Her: So, what’s going on with the love life?
Me: Nothing
Her: No new prospects?
Me: Nope.
Her: Oh. You know when you said last week that you and B weren’t speaking anymore, I didn’t know that. You didn’t tell me.
Me: (Silent)
Her: I just want you to be happy. You are happy, right?
Me: I’m happy.
This is an excerpt from a telephone conversation that I had with a well-intentioned friend. At this point she proceeded to give me some gossip about an old boyfriend of mine that I haven’t had any dealings with in about 14 years and I began to zone out.
I totally lied to her about my interaction with B. Mainly because it was because of her ‘well intentions’ that he and I stopped speaking in the first place. It was because of that experience that I have decided to keep all the details of my personal life to my damn self. Don’t get me wrong, she’s my girl and I love her. We have been tight since 1980 but who I am or am not sleeping with has no bearing whatsoever on our friendship. I choose not to discuss it. Period. I’ll eventually go back and tell her that … but for right now I just can’t find the right words. She’ll take it personally, but the truth is, I’m not discussing it with anybody. Which is in my nature anyway so it shouldn’t be a surprise to her.
Truth is, she’s getting on my damned nerves. Not just because of the recent events but every time he would come up in conversation she would say stupid shit about ‘walking down the aisle’ and ‘When ya’ll get married …’ and my favorite ‘Getting married would set a good example for the kids’. How so? My kids are not fond of B or any man I’ve dated because they are completely and 100% loyal to their father. Having him live in my house would be chaos and I’m not about to play referee until the kids move out.
She is the only woman I know who believes having a huuuuuusband is the answer to all life’s problems. I know she secretly feels sorry for me. She thinks I don’t notice those looks of pity when I have dinner with her and her huuuuusband. I’m laughing on the inside because I’ve been there and done that and I’m not trying to do it again. Not yet anyway. I like my life the way it is.
It’s in her nature to check in and account for her spending and ask permission before she leaves the house. I ain’t mad at her, but stop putting your life’s dream on me cause it ain’t my dream.
Do all married women secretly pity single women?
I’m not saying that I love sleeping alone every night. But I’m not going to jump the broom and give up the peace in my household just so I can say I have a huuuuuuusband.