Okay, so at 2:00 this morning my phone is ringing. My first thought? It was B calling … earlier in the evening he received terrible news that a close friend and fellow musician had died. He was very upset and the last time I had spoken to him he was crying and listening to old CDs of the two of them playing (in the band) together. I told him that if he needed to talk he could call back. It wasn’t B.
Me: Hello?
Male Caller: You good?
Me: Excuse me?
Male Caller: Are you good right now?
Me: You totally have the wrong number!
Male Caller: Oh, my bad.
My bad? My bad? It was 2:00 a.m. and I was in the middle of some real good deep sleep. I never reached that level of sleep again for the rest of the night.
When I got up this morning at six I was still pissed. Then my hair was doing something weird and I couldn’t find my favorite coffee mug. Arrrrrrgh!
I get to work and B calls me and we talk for a while. He’s feeling a little better but not much. He spoke to his friend’s sister and she is putting together a fund raiser for her sister-in-law because her brother (for some reason) had no health insurance and the hospital bills were crazy! He died unexpectedly … he just collapsed in his office and the air flow to his brain was cut off for an extended period of time. The details are sketchy. He was only 41 years old. Anyway, back to the fundraiser … B volunteered me to help the sister put together a proposal to present to the place where the fundraiser is to be held. I don’t have a problem with that … I’d be happy to help. I knew the deceased and I’ve even shared a stage with him.
Is it all hypothetical? Lately, B has been beginning conversations like this: “if we get married”; “if we merge”, “when we’re under one roof”. These conversations are usually about the future, his business, the kids, etc. Well, our latest discussion was about whether or not a pre-nuptial agreement would be necessary if we were to get married. My answer … hell yes! Ladies, if you have assets (substantial or otherwise) or if you have the potential to obtain assets (substantial or otherwise) it’s just a form of protection. Now, I know that B’s net worth is greater than mine. I don’t have much but I want to make sure that what I do have goes to my kids. Initially, he didn’t agree with me (he’s coming around). He thought that discussion of a pre-nup was just being pessimistic. I think it’s being realistic. I also believe that we should have separate bank accounts and file our taxes separately. Don’t get me wrong, I would do anything for him and I know he would do anything for me. I would never deny him anything … but in the event things take a turn for the worse I need to be covered. Let’s be real, guys … I don’t have the best track record in the marriage department: I'm 0-2. Maybe I should just stay single. :)
There is a guy in my office who I often catch checking me out. He sneaks glances at my cleavage and has insinuated that I have a “smokin’ hot body” (his words).
Him: You look like Halle Berry with your hair cut short like that.
Me: You think?
Him: Yeah … and you both … um, well she has a smokin’ hot body.
Me: You think?
Him: Yeah. Of course, I can’t say that about you because it would probably be considered sexual harassment (grinning)
Me: You’re probably right.
He’s a white guy. He chews tobacco … most of the guys around here do. WTH? He’s nice enough but I am sooooooo not interested.
I’m still pretty tired from my 2:00 a.m. wake up call. I’m going to try and get some work done, ya’ll. Have a good one!