odi et amo
Links
Really Old Stuff
Yesterday's News
My Daily Reads

Check 'em Out!
< ? Blogs By Black Women # >
20 Firsts
Friday, April 14, 2006
I saw this floating around the blogosphere and thought I'd jump on the bandwagon:

20 Firsts:

Who was your first prom date? My high school sweetheart, Walter. It was our junior prom. We made such a big deal out of it that when it came time for the senior prom I didn’t even really want to go. Been there and done that, right? Well, he told me that if I didn’t go with him he’d go alone. I sucked it up and went and had a terrible time.

Who was your first roommate? Some drifty girl named Janene. We were freshmen at Northeastern. She was a WASP from Cherry Hill, NJ. She was an undercover hoe and once locked me out of the room because she was having sex with some townie. I soon moved down the hall with this chick named Connie. She was a drinker and a smoker and the first white girl that I ever saw get her hair relaxed. We got along great!

What alcoholic beverage did you drink when you got drunk for the first time? I have no idea. The most memorable time was with grain alcohol and fruit punch. Freshman year at Northeastern. It was Halloween and I really don’t remember anything except the following week someone was showing pictures from Halloween and I was in the majority of them—fully clothed and completely wasted. I don’t remember taking them. Not cool.


What was your first job? I was 15 and I worked for the Na.val Un.derwa.ter Sy.ste.ms Ce.nt.er as a clerk. It was 2 hours everyday after school and full time in the summer.

What was your first car? It was a midnight blue Chevy Chevette. My mom had to cosign for it and my payment was $156/month.

When did you go to your first real funeral? I was 14 and my Grandfather had died. He lived in NJ and I had to take the bus alone from CT.

How old were you when you first moved away from your hometown? The first time I left I was 17. I went to college in Boston. I came back two years later. I finally left for good when I was 28.

Who was your first grade teacher? I don’t remember my kindergarten, first or second grade teachers. My third grade teacher’s name was Miss Puchta. She used to love my afro puffs.

Where did you go on your first airplane ride? I’m not sure … I think it was to New Jersey.

When you snuck out of your house for the first time, who was it with? You clearly don’t know my Mama. I never snuck out of my house!

Who was your first Best Friend and are you still friends with them? My first best friend was Versie. We called her Teensie. I remember playing double dutch on the sidewalk in front of her house. I haven’t seen her in ages.

Where did you live the first time you moved out of your parent's house? On campus at NU.

Who is the first person you call when you have a bad day? No one. I usually crawl into bed and wait it out.

Who's wedding were you in the first time you were a bridesmaid or a groomsmen? The first time I was a bridesmaid I was in my current best friend’s wedding – Mark. He asked me to be in the wedding and I said, “Isn’t your woman supposed to choose her bridesmaids?” He replied, “Look, this is my wedding too and you are my best friend! Do you wanna be in it or not?” It was a little tense but he had my back the entire time.

What is the first thing you do in the morning? Hit the snooze button twice, get up and take a shower, put in my contacts and make a pot of coffee.

What was the first concert you attended? B.B. King. I don’t know how old I was, maybe 10 or 11, but my Dad wanted to go and he brought me with him.

First tattoo or piercing? I got my ears pierced when I was 7. My mom pierced them at home with those “sleepers”. Do you remember those? I got my only tattoo on my 34th birthday – cupid graces the area above my right ankle.

First celebrity crush? I don’t know.

First crush? I don’t know. Probably Walter.

First love? Definitely Walter. He always called me 'sweetheart' and when we hung up the phone he would always say 'talk to you later', never good-bye. His eyes were light brown and he had one of those butts that sat up high and you could bounce a quarter off it. He was such a good kisser. One of the last times that I was home my father said, "Have you seen Walter lately? He's a monster! Big as a house!" Thanks, Dad.
Blessed by chele at 10:26 AM | Permalink |
Who links to me?