I know many philanthropic deeds are done anonymously … I think they should be. If you want to contribute to this charity or that it really isn’t anyone’s business. If you are only doing something nice in order to get a pat on the back than (in my opinion) the purpose has been defeated. In most cases I keep this info to myself. However, there is something I’d like to share. I was inspired by Rose to start a small scholarship fund for minority students at one of the local high schools. It’s not a lot of money, but it could help with books and other things that freshman need when they go off to college. I just wanted to do something. You ever have that feeling? Well, when I found myself in a better financial position, this scripture kept ringing in my ears:
Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. (Malachi 3:10)
I concentrated on the “prove me now” part and the “having so many blessings that I don’t have room to receive it” part. Well, I believe that when God blesses you so much that you don’t have enough room to hold all the blessings than you are supposed to spread it around, right? Don’t get it twisted, I ain’t rolling big time like that, but I do okay.
Anyway, Rose wrote a post about setting up a scholarship and she was sort of disappointed because the response from the students wasn’t what she had anticipated. Well, Friday was the deadline for my scholarship and do you know that up until Thursday I had only one application! I was so disappointed. I was happy to be able to help that one student but I just felt like going to the school and shaking those kids! I mean, the eligibility criteria and the requirements were not that difficult to meet … what the heck was the problem? Free money, people! Hello!
On Friday afternoon my son called me at the office to let me know that there were two manila envelopes in the door, one in the mailbox and two people came by the house to drop off applications. I was thrilled! Now onto the selection process.
__
Have any of you ever tried the Domenica Four Layer Facial? Here’s the official description:
This premier facial hydrates, mineralizes and re-balances the skin. The four layers include a seaweed serum, rich hydrating cream, refreshing seaweed mask, and a self-heating mineral mask. This facial will impact an immediate youthfulness and vitality to the skin
Blah blah blah. I got this done on Saturday instead of my regular facial because the tech suggested it. It was really cool. However, if you are at all claustrophobic I wouldn’t recommend it. I’m laying on the table with the mineral mask heating up and on top of that is the clay mask hardening and she had these things over my eyes so I couldn’t open them. It was a little unnerving. She stayed in the room with me while it was on but it was a little creepy. Once she took that stuff off my face it did feel a lot smoother and she showed me where a few impurities were extracted. Kinda cool … if you get the chance you should try and get one.
__
We went to Tom’s funeral service yesterday and it was standing room only. It was a very nice service and afterwards there was a reception and his band played in the background. While I was there I made a few observations regarding the differences between the Baptist church that I went to earlier in the day and the Episcopalian church where Tom’s service was being held. The Baptist church had bibles and hymnals and the Episcopalian church had a blue song book and The Book of Common Prayer. I guess the BCP is a bible but it’s not formatted like the Holy Bible. It’s filled with scriptures and … prayers. It was different. Not better or worse … just different.
There were also a few differences I noticed between funerals for white folks and funerals for black folks. The people at the white folks’ funeral cried silently in the sanctuary. The deceased was cremated so there was no casket for folk to try and jump into. And the food at the reception was the biggest difference. They served steamed shrimp, a bunch of veggie and fruit platters, chicken fingers with some kind of sauce and a ton of different desserts. Again, not better or worse … just different.