I hope I’m overreacting. I tend to do that.
This morning this dude in another department calls me and asks if I received such-and-such e-mail from such-and-such (someone outside the company).
Me: No, I didn’t get it.
Him: It’s addressed to both of us.
Me: Well, I didn’t get it.
Him: Okay, when you do get it call me so we can discuss it.
Me: Okay.
About 15 minutes go by and I still don’t have the e-mail. I have to go to this dude’s side of the building to scan something so I drop by his cube to find out what the deal is with the e-mail.
Him: Good morning, chele. What’re you doing in this neck of the woods?
Me: I never got the e-mail. What was the problem?
(He opens the e-mail and I look over his shoulder and read it.)
Me: Oh … this was taken care of back in November. Why don’t you forward it to me and I’ll respond. Looks like they had an incorrect e-mail address for me.
Him: Okay …I’ll send it over to you now. I’m surprised at your concern.
Me: What do you mean, you’re surprised?
Him: I mean you came all the way over here to check on it and everything.
Me: What was I supposed to do? You brought it to my attention and I wanted to follow up.
Him: No … I just mean that your diligence surprised me.
Me: (with the WTF look on my face) Damn ... it surprised you that I’m doing my job?
Then I walked away. That whole thing just rubbed me the wrong way. It makes me think that I’m perceived in a certain way. A negative way. I don’t know what he heard but I have more integrity in my little finger than he has in his whole big, fat, tobacco-chewing, red neck body. That ish really pisses me off.
********
So now B is all mopey because I haven’t invited him to accompany me to my family reunion next weekend in Atlanta. I can’t please anybody! I finally told him today that I just don’t feel like playing referee between him and the kids all weekend.
Him: Referee?
Me: Yes. When you guys are together you barely even speak to each other. So I’ll have to spend the whole weekend making sure that I give you enough attention and give them enough attention without anyone feeling slighted. It’s tiring and I don’t want to do it. But if you’re going to be walking around with hurt feelings than go ahead and cancel your gigs for that weekend and come on. By all means just come on!
Him: Nevermind. I don’t want you to play referee. I’ll talk to you later.
Damn. Now I feel bad.