odi et amo
Links
Really Old Stuff
Yesterday's News
My Daily Reads

Check 'em Out!
< ? Blogs By Black Women # >
Bite Your Tongue
Monday, June 19, 2006
Here's the input that I want to give but never will:

You're making a mistake. No union is that secure. I was in your shoes about eight years ago, remember? He got stationed about three hours away and I thought it was in our best interest if I stayed here. We needed my paycheck ... that was the reason. I know now that our marriage couldn't survive the distance. And neither can yours.

The agreement was that he would come home every weekend. It was only three hours, right? That's the same thing that you're saying isn't it? Didn't you tell me that his visits are becoming less frequent? Along with the phonecalls? Married people should be living in the same house. A married man shouldn't be living as a single man. The temptation is too great. You shouldn't have agreed to this.

I shouldn't have agreed to it either. Actually, I didn't agree to it. I suggested it and he reluctantly agreed to it. He knew better than me. I was more interested in the financial stability and he was more interested in the emotional stability. I made a mistake and you are too.

If you value what you have you'll get up there. You are helping him to create the appearance of single man. He has a great apartment in a lovely city. And that uniform does something to young, single women. He works hard all day and he's surrounded by women that don't bring him drama. You're my girl but let's be real: you are full of drama. I never told you this before but early in your marriage he once confided in me that he actually thought about leaving you. More than once.

I know you're not the jealous type. You have your officer and a gentleman, you have your house and you have your child. What happens when he really gets tired of the soap opera that you call a life? What happens when he walks in the door of his bachelor's apartment and realizes that it's just easier to stay in the city than to come home to you? You've got a lot of stuff going on and maybe he needs you to take a break from all that and devote some quality time to him. Something to think about.

I know what I'm talking about. I was there. I let him go. After all, it was just three hours away. But he never came back. It was the beginning of the end of my marriage and it may be the beginning of the end of yours.

Blessed by chele at 8:08 PM | Permalink |
Who links to me?