
I’ve mentioned here before that I’m no stranger to a therapist’s couch. I know you are all wondering how someone as charming, beautiful and intelligent as me could ever need therapy. Well, I’m about to spill the beans. Ready?
I take life lessons from one of my favorite Di.s.n.ey villains.
There it is.
And it is because of this that I am a certified nutcase.
Remember the part in Ala.dd.in when Jafar says, “Remember the Golden Rule? The one with the gold makes the rules! BWAHAHAHAHA!”
In other words, Money = Power.
For me, Jafar hit the nail on the head. Those of you that have been reading me for a minute know that I’d rather die than be considered weak or fragile or anything remotely resembling those adjectives. I’m nobody’s distressed damsel … blah blah blah. No man has ever heard these words come outta my mouth, “You think you can help me out with my cable bill, this month?” Shiiiiiiiit. Not me.
Many women that I have this conversation with think I’m crazy. These women think that I should use what I have to get what I want. That I should take a man for everything he’s got. Why not? It’s not like he’s not getting something out of the deal.
Um …is it just me or is exchanging sex for money the same thing as being a hooker? Maybe it’s just me. Not just that … but as Jafar said, “Who ever has the gold makes the rules.” For me, if a man gives me money than somehow I’ve turned that into meaning that he has power over me.
I’m not a fanatic, I’ll let a guy take me to dinner or get me a gift on my birthday or Christmas or whatever … but just hand over cash? It gives me the heebie-jeebies.
So, can you imagine my reaction when B offered to take care of the 4-figure bill that the devil (aka car dealership) is charging me to get my car fixed?
First he offered to pay half and I politely told him “no thank you”. He asked if I was sure and I told him I was. Then this morning he calls me and says, “Here’s what I’m going to do. I’m not asking your opinion because I’ve already decided. I’m going to pay to get your car fixed. I know you don’t need me to! I know you can handle it but I also know that you have a lot of things coming up and it may not be convenient for you right now to pay this bill. I know I’m not your husband but let me do the “husband thing” and take care of this. All right?”
At first I didn’t know how to answer. He was right about one thing: I have the money but it’s just not a good time to spend it. The hair on the back of my neck stood up when he used the H word … neither one of my husbands ever offered to take care of the maintenance on my car. So this concept was really foreign to me. What to do? What to do? I could either take the strong, independent stand and walk around with my “I Am Woman” theme music or I could let my man be a man and allow him to treat me like a lady.
I chose the latter.
**gulp**