I changed my hairstyle today and I'm feeling pretty good about it. It's all bouncy with soft curls framing my face. There's nothing like a new do to lift your spirits.
Since I managed to alienate both my children today I decided to venture out and take myself to the movies. I went to see Brokeback Mountain. I've wanted to see it since it was released but couldn't get anyone to go with me so today I made the trip alone. I really enjoyed the movie. It was beautifully shot and the story was poignant and moving. However, the lady who sat in front of me in the theater was boo-hooing like there was no tomorrow! Okay, it was a sad story of forbidden love and had it been between a man and a woman I probably would have been crying too but I couldn't get past the fact that it was two dudes. The film was very well done and I'm not taking anything away from it but I couldn't shed a tear and I'm probably the biggest mush I know.
For future reference, I will be referring to my ex-husband as D and my ex-boyfriend as B. I have a feeling both of them may be making a few appearances in this blog over the next few days ... honestly I don't want to be bothered with either one of them. D has not made another attempt since the other night, however, I noticed he called the house earlier while I was out. B called me earlier sounding all sad talking about how much he misses me and how wonderful I am. Too bad he didn't realize how wonderful I was when we were together. He had a gig last night and he told me that one of the waitresses was asking for me. She liked to hear me sing "Proud Mary" and asked him where I was. Whatever. Moving on.
For the last few days I have been saying how much I hate Valentine's Day. I really do. Well, today I received a Valentine's Day card in the mail from my best friend Mark. Mark and I have been best friends for more than 25 years. He never forgets my birthday or the birthdays of my children. He always remembers my kids at Christmas and he's quick to share a funny story or an accomplishment with me. He lives many miles away with his wife and children but our friendship has endured. Then I realized something ... Valentine's Day should be spent celebrating the love that is present in our lives, not mourning the love that is no longer in our lives. It's still a fake ass holiday ... but I just feel better about it now since I put some perspective to it.
I picked up two new books today. Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda by LaJill Hunt and The Preacher's Son by Carl Weber. This is my first time reading LaJill Hunt but I have read a few of Carl Weber's books and I really enjoy them. I also listened to Mary J. Blige's new CD this morning while I was soaking in the tub. I've had it for a while but today was the first time I really listened to the lyrics. Most of the songs deal with how much she loves Kendu but there are a few tracks that deal with not putting up with anymore BS ... that's where I'm at right now and I could seriously relate. I loved it.
I'm feeling good ya'll. It's been a good day. And I couldn't be more thankful.