odi et amo
Links
Really Old Stuff
Yesterday's News
My Daily Reads

Check 'em Out!
< ? Blogs By Black Women # >
The Preacher's Son
Monday, February 20, 2006
So, I’m reading The Preacher’s Son by Carl Weber. It’s a good book. Basically, it’s a story about the scandals that take place in a mega church in New York. If you like Carl Weber – you’ll like the story. He follows the same format in all his books (at least the ones I’ve read): the story is told in first person, twists and turns throughout the story … I haven’t finished the book yet but I’m expecting a surprise ending. I would recommend it.

The story reminded me of my own experiences growing up in the church, coming from a long line of preachers and finally just being so discouraged with the church folk and all the drama that they bring.

I have seen more scandal in the church than I care to admit. I haven’t always been involved in it but just having knowledge of certain things can really taint one’s view of the church. I remember one minister invited me to a hotel. Unbelievable. We were both married at the time and he was one of my Bible teachers. He was a fantastic teacher and I got so much out of his class. I asked a lot of questions and he was always able to break things down for me so I could understand them. Up until the proposition he had always carried himself appropriately and was the picture perfect “Man of God”.

Then he started calling my house on a weekly basis. Each church member was assigned a Home Minister whose responsibility it was to contact six or seven members on a weekly basis and discuss any issues they may have or offer prayer. Well, he wasn’t my Home Minister but he took it upon himself to begin calling my house anyway. If my husband answered than he would speak to him and not ask for me at all. It all seemed perfectly innocent. Until our phone conversations became of a less Godly nature and became more personal. He would tell me how beautiful and charming I was. What the hell? Charming?

Now, I was a grown woman at the time – not some kid who doesn’t know what the hell is going on. A grown woman knows when a man is trying to holla. He can be as subtle as he wants to be but a grown woman can see right through that shit. And I saw it. Do you know that when I called him on it he had the audacity to say that my own carnal thinking led me to that conclusion and that he was a Man of God.

Oh hell no! So now he’s making me question my intuition and my salvation. I ran to my knees and asked God to forgive me for being so carnal. I felt bad for accusing him. Bastard. So time passes and he’s still calling the house and stopping to talk to me after church and just really paying me too much attention. Then one day, he asks me to join him for lunch. I thought we were friends and he was safe since he was married and a minister … blah blah blah. I went to lunch with this fool and afterward he asked me if I wanted to go to a hotel! I looked at him like he was out of his friggin’ mind. I refrained from cussing him out but we didn't speak again after that.

Shortly after that he left the church to start his own church. I wasn’t the cause … this had been in the works for a while.

I know all preachers aren’t like this. But I’ve run across more than one--and it's not like I go looking to bring down the Man of God. It’s discouraging. I remember someone telling me that no one in church is perfect – that’s why they’re in church. Okay, I get that but damn … if I want to be asked to the hotel (which I don’t) I can go to the club. At least at the club you know what a dude’s intentions are. He’s not using the Bible in order to get some booty.

I also left that church. I was too entrenched. I was too involved. I had information that I didn’t want to have. I don’t want to know about my Pastor’s personal life. It distracts me from worship. I don’t care who’s sleeping with whom. I didn’t want to know anyone’s business and I didn’t want anyone in my business. So I left. The church I attend now is nice. Good size. Close to the house. The best part … I don’t know a soul.

Blessed by chele at 2:03 PM | Permalink |
Who links to me?