I love October.
Not just because it is the month of my birth -- no wait - that is the only reason why I love October. I celebrate all month long by being extra special to ME. I told you all about my internal frame of reference. I am one of those people who actually believes that the world revolves around them. That's bad, I know. And I am really making an effort to change that. Next month. This month it's all about me. Wonderful me.
Shortly after I got home last night my cell phone rang. It was after midnight and I couldn't begin to guess who would be calling me. My sister and I had gone out together and my guess was that it was my brother-in-law wondering why she hadn't gotten home yet. It wasn't. It was my boss. Why in the hell would my boss be calling my cell phone after midnight on a Friday night?
As you know I just started this job. I've been there for a month and I'm really enjoying it. Many of you may be aware that 30 September is the last day of the government fiscal year. I work in a sales environment (I'm not a salesperson) and almost everyone in my office was working until midnight trying to get every last government sale they could before funding expired. Thankfully, since I'm not part of the salesforce I left the office at 5:00 p.m.
Part of my job includes putting different vendors on our contracts so customers can buy their products from us. It's hard to explain and the process is a pain the neck and usually takes between two to four weeks. Last week I was able to add a vendor in less than four days. It was quite a fete for only being on the job for a month. I was pretty pleased with myself.
Last night my boss called to tell me that because of my efforts we were able to make a 37 million dollar sale before the end of the fiscal year. 37 million dollars! I know I had two martinis last night but I know what I heard -- 37 million dollars. I am absolutely on top of the world. I know that the sales guy (or gal) that actually made the sale will get all the kudos but my boss thought it was important to thank me last night and that ain't too shabby.