odi et amo
Links
Really Old Stuff
Yesterday's News
My Daily Reads

Check 'em Out!
< ? Blogs By Black Women # >
Gooey = Love?
Tuesday, July 25, 2006

I’m not sure how this is going to turn out because I’m not in the best of moods. It’s raining and everyone is just getting on my nerves. So, I’m talking to a long time male friend of mine this morning and he says:

So how’s everything going with ole boy?

Aiight.

Humph. That’s what I thought

What’s that supposed to mean?

He ain’t the one. You ain’t in love.

Excuse me?

Yeah, you’d have that tone in your voice if he was the one.

Tone? WTH?

First of all, I am not going to take this time to defend my relationship. I know what I have.

I will say this though. My friend, sweet as he is, is extremely chauvinistic and truly believes there are only two places for women. The kitchen and the bedroom, Florida. The kitchen and the bedroom! (Good Times, 1974). He is mistakenly under the impression that unless a woman is fawning over a man, sighing heavily, getting butterflies in her stomach and proclaiming that he is her soul mate than she is not in love.

What’s funny to me is that for as long as he has known me I have never been that chick. Admittedly, I was that chick in high school and I was probably that chick in college … and even than I have never used the term “soul mate” to describe a guy that I was with. I just don’t believe in that ish.

I’ve been called jaded. I’ve been called cold. I’ve been called a heartless bitch.

Call me what you wanna call me but I make no apologies for not getting all gooey when I talk about B. I give him his props. I’m not that good at the ego stroke but I do the best I can to let him know how I feel about him. I don’t feel obligated to convince my friend.

Remember when Janet and Rene got divorced and no one even knew they were married? I remember Janet being criticized because she kept her marriage a secret. Folks were saying that the relationship must not have been all that if they kept it a secret. Maybe they just didn’t want a whole lotta folks all up in their business. Not everyone is yucky and creepy like Tom and Katie.

I can relate.

I ain’t Janet and B ain’t Rene but can’t we just have what we have and keep it between us?

Blessed by chele at 3:31 PM | Permalink |
Who links to me?