Babyface’s Grown and Sexy is my new favorite CD. Specifically, the title cut. I’ve always been a huge fan. I just think he is so smooth. Although, I do find it interesting that in so many of his songs he lists all his great qualities in order to get the girl, or is hating on another guy (e.g., Never Keeping Secrets, Soon As I Get Home, Grown and Sexy, Given A Chance). I wonder if Tracy remembers all those great qualities right about now.
Anyway, Grown and Sexy is like an anthem for me. Every time I hear it I feel good. It gives me energy and I can’t keep still. It got me to thinking about what makes us grown and sexy.
It’s relatively easy to define being grown. There are the obvious things like:
Having your own place (i.e., not living in your mom’s basement)
Having your utilities in your own name (not your child’s name)
Having at least one VALID major credit card
But what about the less obvious qualities? Let me be clear, I am not professing to have all these down. After all I am a work in progress:
Self-confidence – Knowing who you are, loving who you are and accepting who you are in spite of your faults. Being able to stand toe-to-toe with anyone who challenges you or your belief system.
Emotional stability – The Bible says that we should be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine (Ephesians 4:14). To me this means that we shouldn’t be swayed by every turn of events. We should be stable in all our ways regardless of the circumstances and not let our emotions get the better of us.
Financial maturity – Live at or below your means, if possible. Just because you can afford something today doesn’t mean you have to have it today. I was married to a man who thought it was more important to buy $100 tennis shoes than to put food in the refrigerator. In his opinion what people could see far outweighed what they couldn’t see.
Decisiveness – I love someone who can make a daggone decision and not spend a lifetime second guessing himself. Make a decision and stand by it. If it turns out to be the wrong decision that’s okay too. Own up to the mistake and make another decision. Don’t be afraid to make a mistake – we all do it.
Honesty – It is much too difficult to keep up with lies. Just tell the truth to begin with. If the person you are dealing with can’t handle the truth that is really their issue not yours.
Character – A person with good character will do the right thing even when no one is watching.
It’s not as easy to define sexy though. What is sexy to one may not be sexy to another. For example, to me a full bottom lip is sexy as hell. A man who knows how to apologize is also very sexy. Then it dawned on me: The things that make you grown ARE sexy.
Go ‘head Face.