odi et amo
Links
Really Old Stuff
Yesterday's News
My Daily Reads

Check 'em Out!
< ? Blogs By Black Women # >
Working
Friday, June 24, 2005
It's a beautiful day and my backyard is calling me. It's saying, "Grab a book and come out here and enjoy all that you've worked for..." Unfortunately, I have to respectfully decline the offer because I'm still working to keep my beautiful backyard.

I earn a great paycheck doing something I hate. Well, I don't hate what I do but the people around me leave little to be desired. Well, not all the people -- just my boss. It's a personality conflict. She doesn't have one.

I don't enjoy the whole concept of working. How can an eighteen year old decide what they want to do for the rest of their lives? When I graduated from high school I was on my way to college to major in Human Services. Human Services? My goal was to be a Social Worker and to help people. Good thing I didn't graduate and follow that dream, because for the most part I don't even like people -- especially those that refuse to try and help themselves. Can you imagine someone like me telling a client to get off his ass and get a damn job! I don't think so.

If I could do anything in the world for a living it would be writing. I look back twenty-five years and I have always been writing. Whether it was short stories or journaling I always wanted to write but I never believed that it was a career option. No one told me that I could do it. I watched my parents leave the house everyday for their boring eight-hour a day jobs and I thought that is what I had to do too. If someone just would have told me. Or if only I had been more passionate about my writing as a young person I wouldn't be sitting here now bitching about having to go to work. On the upside, my job has allowed me to finance the self publishing of my novel. Many of my co-workers have become customers and fans. My job is not unbearable -- it's just not what I had envisioned for myself.
Blessed by chele at 6:20 AM | Permalink |
Who links to me?